Sunday, August 21, 2011

2011 Solar World Congress, Kassel

Several German visitors visit this blog occasionally, especially when I comment on the activities of Solar Millenium, for example in association with solar installations at Andasol, Ibersol, and Blythe.  Therefore, I’ll just mention that I’ll be attending the 2011 Solar World Congress in Kassel from 28 August to 2 September.

I’ll be presenting a poster paper entitled “Output of the Evaporation Engine (Sloping Canopy)”.  My session is scheduled for Thursday morning, 1 September.

The figure below contains my main findings (click to see full size image).  This shows the simulated output of my evaporation engine at a suitable site for a complete year.  Both horizontal and sloping canopies have been studied; the figure shows the output from a 1,000 m^2 canopy with canopy losses included, but not engine losses.  Engine losses were evaluated in my paper in the congress proceedings, and are expected to reduce the estimates in the figure by around 25-30%. 

The table below summarises my results for the 1,000 m^2 canopy, with all losses included.  If achievable in an actual system, these results would be highly pleasing.  It is noteworthy that the sloping canopy gives greater annual output than the horizontal canopy.  Moreover the output occurs in a more uniform fashion and can be achieved with a slightly smaller engine.


Units
Horizontal
Sloping
Peak power
kW
65
60
Annual output
MWhr/yr
74
94
Water consumption
m^3/yr
1,181
1,422
Cost per peak Watt
AUD/(Wp)
1.38
1.42
Levelised Electricity Cost
AUD/(MWhr)
173
128

I would be very happy to discuss these issues with delegates, developers and fellow enthusiasts.  More generally, I’d also be very happy to discuss the cost of solar power, as investigated in this blog since the start of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment